Sunday, April 19, 2009

To Keep an Art Journal as A Survival Tool


Days like this are when my determination to keep an art journal becomes a survival tool, much, much more than recreation, therapy or spiritual practice.

The kids have an extra day off because of teacher conferences YAY YAHOO – except it is snowing - hard. I spent the morning puttering around my art area while they watched cartoons and now the art supplies are in good order for when the giant HO-HUM sets in.

We will practice mixing and using acrylics, our ten year old is developing a real technique and it is great fun watching her daubing, spraying and speckling. This is where my art journaling comes into play. While she works I use her extra paints to prep pages in a couple of my new art journals. No matter how often we do it – we always have extra paint mixed and out. This way I am there to help turn her big wet pages, hand out wipes and admire, without hovering. It is a great opportunity to prepare pages with colors I wouldn’t normally choose myself. It allows a fresh flush of color on as many pages as I care to work up.

When the kids are home for several days, especially in the winter, I can get several layers down on my pages, creating a feeling of depth as well as strengthening the paper. I always have at least two journals going and often three. This helps me keep going – painting journal #2 while #1 dries. I let the pages dry, at least a little, before putting wax paper under and in between because if I put it in too soon it affects the texture pattern and sometimes that isn’t what I want. Sometimes it is.

Now the gray day is turning to evening and suppertime and we have survived the day in great spirits with lots of art to show for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment