Tuesday, April 21, 2009

To Keep an Art Journal Takes Practice


A friend said to me the other day “You have always been a better self-starter than I have.” I stared at her in astonishment. This is not how I see myself. If I want to accomplish anything I have to paint myself into a corner and have no way out but forward. To others this looks like self-starting.

Side note: This brings up all those funny initials that geeks use ROFL, LMAO, LOL. For the rest of us these translate into hysterical giggles.

Ahem, where was I, oh yes to keep an art journal takes practice…let me tell you how I paint myself into a corner.

Ø First of all I tell everyone that I am having a great time with my art journaling and my altered art journals. I tell them all my new ideas and how I am going to make a million dollars with my art.

Ø I make sure that I clear off my work table every week all the way down to the surface

Ø I make sure I have all the pens, pencils, paint and stencils I could ever use.

Ø I make sure I can find stuff

Ø I schedule time to do it

Ø I tell the kids we will be painting at “X” time (“Is it time yet?”)

Ø Then I stand in front of my paper with all the stuff sitting there and it seems easy to start.

Many of us think we should already be able to do this or know how. Many of us feel blocked when it comes to creativity. With practice you will gradually cultivate confidence and skill but it will take practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment